Toxic Food for Dogs
We recently ran across an article on One Green Planet listing five fruits and veggies that you should absolutely never let your dog eat. Several of them are commonly known as being poisonous for canines, but we thought it was important info worth sharing. So after some research, we have created a fairly definitive list of foods that are known to be toxic for your dog. The most common reactions that you should keep an eye out for are: vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, lethargy, and excessive thirst. If you suspect your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t have, seek the assistance of your veterinarian immediately. If there are any other foods you’ve heard of that we’ve left out, please comment and we will look into it and update our list.
1. Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and irreversible kidney damage within 24 hours of being eaten.
Symptoms: Vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, noticeable abdominal pain, little urination, and wobbly and almost weakened movement
Parts of tomato plants, like the vines, stems, and leaves, contain a harmful alkaloid called atropine (tomatine poisoning), which can cause serious problems if eaten. Green or unripened fruit has less of the toxin but can still cause stomach upset. Although ripened red tomatoes are not as likely to make your dog sick, they should not be a part of a regular dog food diet.
Causes: Tremors, seizures, and heart arrhythmia
Symptoms: Unusual drooling, overall weakness, difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, dilated pupils, and even paralysis
3. Garlic and Onions
There are mixed thoughts about feeding dogs garlic. When fed in small amounts, garlic is said to be beneficial for your dog because it’s considered one of nature’s antibiotics. On the other hand, when ingested in larger amounts, both garlic and onions (in fresh, dried, or powered form) can cause anemia and stomach upset due to the destruction of red blood cells.
Symptoms: Rapid heart rate, weakness, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the urine, pale and thin gums
All parts of the plant and seed-pit should not be eaten by dogs. If they do, dogs could experience painful oxygen deprivation leading to possible death and pancreatitis. It is still being debated by the scientific community if the actual avocado meat and oils are poisonous, so it may be best to avoid feeding any part of the avocado to dogs.
Symptoms: Trouble breathing or loss of breath, wheezing, vomiting, diarrhea, congestion, fluid build up in the chest area
5. Fruit Seeds/Fruit Pits
This includes apple seeds and pits from cherries, plums, peaches, and nectarines. Apart from the obvious choking hazard, fruits pits and seeds should not be ingested by dogs because they can cause bowel and intestinal obstruction. They also contain the poison cyanide. Death or cardiac arrest are possible after ingestion within two to four days without treatment.
Symptoms: dilated pupils, hyperventilation (rapid breathing or panting), shock, vomiting, cardiac arrhythmia, and skin irritations. Persimmon and its seeds in particular can cause diarrhea, then intestinal inflammation.
6. Caffeine – Coffee/Tea, Energy Drinks
Caffeine, if enough is ingested, can be fatal for a dog. Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors, and bleeding. In addition to tea and coffee – including beans and grounds — caffeine can be found in cocoa, chocolate, colas, and energy drinks. It can also be found in cold medicines and pain killers.
7. Macadamia Nuts
Dogs should not eat macadamia nuts or foods containing macadamia nuts because they can be fatal. As few as six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make your dog ill.
Symptoms: muscle tremors, weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters, vomiting, elevated body temperature, and rapid heart rate. Eating chocolate with the nuts can make symptoms worse and lead to death.
This artificial sweetener is found in candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and diet foods. Xylitol can cause an increase in the insulin circulating through your dog’s body. This can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop to unsafe levels and can also cause liver failure.
Symptoms: vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination. The dog may also experience seizures. Liver failure can occur within just a few days if not treated.
Most people have heard that it is unhealthy for dogs to consume chocolate. The toxic agent for dogs in chocolate is theobromine. It’s in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most dangerous kinds, though, are dark chocolate, chocolate mulch, and unsweetened baking chocolate.
Symptoms: Eating chocolate, or even just licking it, can cause a dog to vomit, have diarrhea, and be excessively thirsty. It can also cause abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, followed by death.
10. Raw Fish or Meat
Raw meat and raw fish can contain bacteria that causes food poisoning. In addition, certain kinds of fish such as salmon, trout, shad, or sturgeon can contain a parasite that causes “fish disease” or “salmon poisoning disease.” If not treated, the disease can be fatal to dogs within two weeks.
Symptoms:The first signs of illness are vomiting, fever, and big lymph nodes. Thoroughly cook any fish which will kill the parasite and protect your dog from these diseases.
Salty foods like chips or pretzels should not be shared with your dog. Eating too much salt can cause excessive thirst and urination and lead to sodium ion poisoning in dogs.
Symptoms: include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, and seizures. It could even cause death.
12. Yeast Dough
Bread dough contains yeast in order to rise which is exactly what it will do in your dog’s stomach if eaten. As it swells inside, the dough can stretch the dog’s abdomen and cause severe pain. In addition, when the yeast ferments the dough to make it rise, it produces alcohol that can lead to alcohol poisoning.
13. Wild Mushrooms
This seems to be a topic of some debate. While some people say that grocery store mushrooms are OK to feed your dog, others claim it’s safest to avoid them all together. We tend to agree that regardless of the source, you can always find something else to feed your dog so why take the risk? Wild mushrooms (such as those growing in your yard or on trees) are an absolute no-no.
The most common cause of poisoning in dogs is a reaction to a drug commonly prescribed for humans. The same as you would do for your children, keep all medicines out of your dog’s reach. Never intentionally give your dog any over the counter medicine unless told to do so by your veterinarian. Ingredients such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen are common in pain relievers and cold medicine. These can be deadly for your dog.
and finally a brief info-graphic with foods that are safe for your dog to eat:
Safe food for Dogs